    SubjectRe: UTF-8 and case-insensitivity
    On Tuesday February 17, tridge@samba.org wrote:

    > I also think that if the choice were given then some linux distros
    > (the likes of Lindows comes to mind) would choose to run all processes
    > case-insensitive. These sorts of distros are aiming at the sorts of
    > users that would want everything to be case-insensitive.

    This is the bit I don't understand.

    Surely the value of case-insensitivity is that you can type in a
    filename from memory and not worry about what case you used when you
    created the file.

    Yet with Lindows / MS-Windows style interfaces, you virtually never
    type the name of a pre-existing file. So case-insensitivity doesn't
    seem to be a win to the user.

    I thought the value of a case-insensitive filenames was for
    legacy applications which have been written to the WIN32 API and took
    lots of liberties with "pretty-casing" filenames between readdir and
    open.

    NeilBrown

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:2.351 / U:1.560 seconds]