    SubjectRe: UTF-8 and case-insensitivity
    Date
    Followup to:  <16434.41376.453823.260362@samba.org>
    By author: tridge@samba.org
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > > I don't know how Windows does it, so maybe this thing is hardcoded, and
    > > you don't even want "true" case insensitivity.
    >
    > NTFS has a 128k table on disk, created at mkfs time and indexed by the
    > UCS2 character.

    So you're hosed if anyone uses characters outside the UCS-2 character
    set...

    > The interesting thing about this table is that it doesn't seem to
    > vary between different locales as one might expect. I have checked 3
    > locales so far (Swedish, Japanese and English) and all have the same
    > 128k table. I should check a few more locales to see if it really is
    > the same everywhere. Contact me off-list if you have a NTFS
    > filesystem created in a different locale and would be willing to run
    > a test program against it to see if the table is different from the
    > one we have in Samba.

    There is a "standard" table, which is published by the Unicode
    consortium. However, the "standard" table isn't what you want in
    certain locales, e.g. Turkish.

    > There is stuff in the charset handling of every locale that does vary
    > in windows, but it isn't the case table, its the "valid characters"
    > map used to determine what characters are allowed when converting
    > strings into legacy multi-byte encodings. Even I don't think that the
    > kernel will ever have to deal with that crap unless someone is foolish
    > enough to port Samba into the kernel (several people have actually
    > done that despite the insanity of the idea, but they all did an
    > absolutely terrible job of it and certainly didn't take care to get
    > all the charset handling right).
    >
    > > How "correct" is Windows?
    >
    > from my rather limited point of view I always have to assume that
    > windows is "correct", unless I can show that its behaviour leads to
    > data loss, a security hole or something equally extreme.

    Well, we don't want to support a bunch of hacks to make it behave like
    Windows if what Windows does doesn't make sense. If so you should use
    a metalayer where you canonicalize the filenames and don't store
    "Makefile" on the disk; store "makefile" and keep the "real" filename
    stashed elsewhere, perhaps an EA.

    -hpa

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.026 / U:29.960 seconds]