SubjectRe: UTF-8 and case-insensitivity
Date
On Tuesday 17 February 2004 22.17, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> The fact that _I_ think pathnames are just a nice stream of bytes sadly
> doesn't make Windows clients do the same. Some day when I'm King Of The
> World, and I can outlaw windows clients, we'll finally get rid of the
LPA = Linus' Patriot Act.

> braindamage, but until then I'm pragmatic enough to say "let's help out
> the poor samba people who have to deal with the crap day in and day out".
>
> What's your problem with that?

Nothing wrong with helping people.

Having to put up with the existence of Windows day in and out is the reason I'm still on
an eight-bit encoding. Sorry for not explaining the REAL problem, but only a partial
problem. I need to support all kinds of clients on Windows with protocols that convey no
character set info. With samba that's no problem. Having to put up with a Unix world running
ISO-8859-1 (or ISO-8859-15) is another. Ofcourse that means Linux machines also add
to the disturbance by not storing things as unicode. The real obstable is file names,
everything else including content of files, I can handle (I think). Maybe I'll find a solution
for the filenames too, but usually some hot discussions are needed for the brain to kick
into the right gear.

I want to switch to UTF-8 to work better with the outside world, but as things are people will
start to take notice of what OS is running in the shadows when they see the filename problems, and
start demanding Windows, and ... You see; I'm not mean; I don't want to do that to them (or myself),

-- robin

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.300 / U:0.844 seconds]