SubjectRe: Kernel Cross Compiling

> tried that one for vs1.20 (2.4.21,2.4.22,2.4.23) was
> a little inflexible, but I didn't understand the results:
>
> PPC-Cross Compile Regress 447 warnings, 21 errors PASS?

The Compile Regress is John Cherry's filter which we run through plm,
and I include with the plm package. The 'PASS' status is based only
on the main compiles, due to the fact that some for the compiles of the
'defconfig', 'allnoconfig', 'allyesconfig' and 'allmodconfig'. It also
goes though the directories and compiles the objects individually, but
this does contribute to fail the test.

There is a -s option to only run 'defconfig' and 'allmodconfig' in the
newer versions of this script.

> and what I would need is the following:
>
> - vanilla kernel + config which compiles for arch X
> - vanilla kernel + vserver patches + same config
> which is tested for arch X
> - differences in the warnings/errors to the default
> (vanilla) build
> - ability to check a 'special' config

PLM is as application for tracking base releases and patches to the
release, on which you can configure 'filters' to run and store the
results. Each architecture or type of config you want to check could be
set up as an individual filter. The kconfig files I use are generally
part of the specific filter which I've set up.

The source trees (base + patches) are then also easily available to other
plm clients. In our case STP.

> > Basically, the farm here at OSDL auto-builds
> > - each release
> > - a daily BK snapshot ( from kernel.org )
> > - each new tree from a few maintainers ( -mm, -ac, -mjb, -osdl )
>
> currently there are three linux-vserver branches,
> stable (2.4), devel (2.4) and experimental (2.6)
> very soon the experimental branch will become the
> devel branch, and the devel branch the last stable
> for (2.4) devel and stable will move on to 2.6 then
>
> > We do some cross compiles, using Dan Kegel's fine tools.
>
> tried those, but decided not to use them, as they require
> building the (g)libc which isN#t required for kernel
> builds at all ...
>
> > Several things you/we could do:
> > - You could of course use our stuff to run your compilie farm, we're
> > always glad to help. :)
>
> okay, how could this be done, and what would be my part
> especially:
>
> - how to add new patches/releases/branches
> - how to activate a testbuild for a kernel/patch
> combination
> - how to use it 'just' for a test, to detect and
> correct build errors (the main purpose)

To use our PLM:
* We would need to build the cross-compilers here on our compile farm.
The cross-compilers would need to be built in an easily reproduced
manner--to be installed on multiple machines and easily re-built
* Design/edit filters to suit your purpose with a reasonably short
run time. We would set them up in PLM.
* Patch submission is through the PLM web interface:
https://www.osdl.org/plm-cgi/plm?module=addpatch
You just upload a text diff file.
* The results are summarised in the output of the filter which you set
up and available online.
To Set up your own PLM:
* You could use our PLM software to set up your own automated
source/filter tracking system.
Home: http://developer.osdl.org/dev/plm/
Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/plm
* There is a script to build an rpm in the source. There are some
admin tools to set-up filters, which you grab from a web server.
* It runs on a MySQL database.
* You design/edit filters to suit exactly your purpose.

> > - we always need help with the project. Mailing list is
> > plm-devel@lists.sourceforge.net.
>
> how could I help?

We are planning quite a few updates to PLM soon, including creating base
patches from CVS and bk pulls, Storing build information with the patch
sets, Improving the installation scripts, etc.

If the tool doesn't do all you would like any input would be great too.
It sounds like maybe a page to display all the recent results of a
particular filter (ie sparc64_default_compile) would be nice.

> > - we're planning on expanding the number of arch's we cross-compile for,
> > x86_64 and ppc64 are the next two probable targets. We probably
> > wouldn't want to add a lot of other archs doing large compiles,
> > but if you have a simple target, we can add quite a few.
>
> currently my cross compile toolchains support the
> following archs:
>
> alpha arm cris hppa hppa64 i386 ia64 m68k mips mips64
> ppc ppc64 s390 sh sh64 sparc sparc64 v850 x86_64

A very impressive list. :) Do you have automated scripts for setting up
your toolchains on other systems? Like ours?

> the 'defconfig' only works for a subset of those and
> some arch have even troubles building without heavy
> patches ...
>
> so planning sounds good, but we are already supporting
> alpha, hppa64, i386, s390, sparc/64 and x86_64

Nobody had shown much interest in the others, so we set our
priorities...

Thanks;
Judith Lebzelter
OSDL

> > ( we noticed you are doing a defconfig. We've done separate config
> > files for those builds, to reduce time )
>
> sounds like a reasonable approach ...
>
> > hope to hear from you
> > cliffw
>
> TIA,
> Herbert
>
> > > TIA,
> > > Herbert

> > > -
> > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> > > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> > > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > > Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
> > >

> > --
> > The church is near, but the road is icy.
> > The bar is far, but i will walk carefully. - Russian proverb

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.196 / U:0.292 seconds]