    SubjectRe: dm-crypt using kthread (was: Oopsing cryptoapi (or loop device?) on 2.6.*)
    Am Mo, den 16.02.2004 schrieb Grzegorz Kulewski um 04:22:

    > Did you heard / read about Herring?

    No, what is it?

    > I found .pdf somewhere (I think I still have it). It is better alternative
    > to ECB or CBC algorithms used in cryptoloop (if I understand good). Could
    > something like that be implemented in dm-crypt? Is it already?

    I can do whatever cryptoapi offers (and isn't too complicated).

    > Could somebody write dm-compress (compressing not encrypting)? Is it
    > technically possible (can device mapper handle different data size at
    > input, differet at output)? (I think there is compressing loop patch.)
    > Could dm first compress data (even with weak algorithm), then encrypt, to
    > make statistical analysis harder?

    Compression is something that is fine in the loop driver but when done
    read-only (because it can be backed by something that isn't limited to
    do I/O on sector boundaries) but very hard to do in the block layer,
    especially read-write. It should really be done in a filesystem because
    you have to do dynamic allocation and such things and you can't even
    guarantee a certain disk size.

    > And, to be sure, does dm-crypto add anything in the begining (ie.
    > header) or in other places to the stored data? Or it is the same data
    > (same size) but encrypted?

    No, it doesn't do anything. These things should be done entirely in
    userspace.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.040 / U:60.472 seconds]