SubjectRe: Implementing SQL on files
On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 11:39, Hans Reiser wrote:

> I hate SQL but I will cooperate with persons seeking to use our storage
> layer to support it.

Thanks Hans. I am not an SQL fan either. But more than SQL this
is about database like storage simantics in the filesystem. I had
this idea in my mind for some time, but the real motivation came
after seeing the Reiserfs 4 page, notably this section:

http://www.namesys.com/v4/v4.html#design_flaws_details

and hopefully the plugin design will make life much easier.

By looking at the feedback I got off the list, I think there is a
couple of points I need to clarify.

o The plan is _not_ to implement a fully flegded database inside
the kernel. Only the storage (well, "only" may not be the most
appropriate word here, because this involves a _lot_ of work)
and the relation operation primitives - or database operation
primitives to be more general - are implemented in the kernel
space.

o Userspace tools are necessary to parse a query, optimize if
necessary, and pass the result (which is a tree) to the kernel.
And the nodes of the parsed tree will map to the primitives
implemented in the kernel.

And most likely, I would be using an exiting database to do the
heavy userspace work (suggested by Peter Zaitsev of MySQL).

Thanks for all the suggessions and comments (mostly offline).

Anuradha

--

http://www.linux.lk/~anuradha/