    SubjectRe: JFS default behavior (was: UTF-8 in file systems? xfs/extfs/etc.)
    On Friday 13 February 2004 04.03, Jamie Lokier wrote:
    > Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
    > > But that's not a reason not to fix the core problem - I don't want to
    > > spent hours fixing filenames next time someone comes up with a new
    > > encoding. Please put valid encoding info somewhere or declare filenames
    > > are utf-8 od utf-16 only - changing user locale should not corrupt old
    > > data.
    > If you attach encoding to names for a whole filesystem, you will get
    > really unpleasant bugs including security holes because some names
    > won't be writable, so the fs will either return error codes when those
    > names are used, or silently alter the names.

    Depends on how to handle those undecodeble file names. non-ascii filenames are
    probably a security issue (negative characters) with some apps. Making them inaccessible
    is definitely not ok. I proposed one version, although it might be a good idea to look at those file
    systems that handle the problem already so a uniform solution could be used that makes all filenames
    accessible regardless of which characters are used and doesn't cause unneccessary
    confusion as to what is the name.

    -- robin

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.021 / U:19.652 seconds]