    SubjectRe: ps/2 mouse problem with KVM switch
    Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

    > Sadly enough, there is a soft reset command in the PS/2 protocol, and
    > the PS/2 interface is designed for hotplug, and because of that Linux
    > 2.6 can easily handle hotplugging of both PS/2 keyboards and mice,
    > including type detection, etc, BUT the KVM switches don't use that,
    > because Windows historically doesn't support unplugging a PS/2 mouse.

    If the mouse gets into confusing state, I can "replug" it into the KVM
    switch (while in Windows) and it works fine after that. I have also
    noticed that when Windows is doing "resume" I must not switch away
    before it is if I want my mouse to work (otherwise I will need to replug).

    For Linux, I also need to switch from X to console and back when the
    mouse is "confused".

    With 2.4 I repeat the the 2 steps described above my mouse works (incl
    wheel) on both machines after that.

    > The most ugly part of the KVM switch in this play is that while the KVM
    > switch usually implements a virtual mouse for each of the machines, it
    > lets them all talk to the real one, and if they have different ideas
    > about what mode the mouse should be set to, well, then there goes the
    > road to madness.

    I guess I need to figure out how to force both machines to initialize
    the mouse in the same way then...

    Regards,
    Mark

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.020 / U:91.868 seconds]