SubjectRe: ext2/3 performance regression in 2.6 vs 2.4 for small interleaved writes
Jon Burgess wrote:

> Rik van Riel wrote:
>
>> Just for fun, could you also try measuring how long it takes
>> to read back the files in question ?
>>
>> Both individually and in parallel...
>>
> The original code did the read back as well, I stripped it out to make
> the code smaller to post.
> It was the read back performance that I was most interested in. I
> found that ext2/3 interleave all the blocks on the disk. With 2 stream
> the read performance is 50%, 4 streams give 25% etc.
>
> I have one really bad case where I record a TV stream at 500kByte/s +
> a radio one at 25kByte/s. These blocks are interleaved on the disk and
> the read performance of the radio stream is reduced by the data ratio,
> i.e. 1:20, so I get a miserable read performance of ~ 1MB/s.
>
> I found that ext2, ext3 and Reiserfs behave similarly.

Try Reiser4, it will probably cure it for you nicely. I will be
surprised if it does not, please let me know your results. I would
expect that tweaking the block preallocation code to preallocate more
should cure it for ReiserFS V3 also....

> XFS and JFS appear to coalesce the data blocks during the write phase
> and can read the data back at near maximum performance.
>
> Jon
>
> -
> linux-kernel" in

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.041 / U:6.004 seconds]