    SubjectRe: JFS default behavior (was: UTF-8 in file systems? xfs/extfs/etc.)
    Date
    On Thursday 12 February 2004 18.16, John Bradford wrote:
    > I'm not sure whether it's valid UTF-8 or not, but it's certainly
    > possible to code, for example, an 'A', (decimal 65), via an escape to
    > a 31-bit character representation. Presumably the majority of UTF-8
    > parsers would decode the sequence as 65, rather than emit an error.

    There are many ways of getting things wrong. The algorithm for encoding
    UTF-8 doesn't give you the option of encoding 65 as two bytes; any UCS-4
    character with code 0-0x7F must result in a onand the same principle goes
    for every other character and the unicdeo standard forbids the use of anything
    but the shortest possible sequence.

    > Also, even ignoring that, how do you handle things like accented
    > characters which can be represented as single characters, or as
    > sequences containing combining characters? Some applications might
    > convert the sequence containing combining characters in to the single
    > character, and others might not.

    In UTF-8 you cannot represent à as `a. I can have both in a file name and they
    are different. An application that assumes `a is the same a à (in UTF-8) is broken
    and should be fixed.

    -- robin

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:3.132 / U:0.348 seconds]