SubjectRe: JFS default behavior (was: UTF-8 in file systems? xfs/extfs/etc.)
> Definitely a good reason.  It seem many assume file names are a local thing,
> but this is not so. Now consider the case with an external firewire
> disk or memory stick created on a machine with iso-8859-1 as the system character
> set and e.g xfs as the file system. What happens when I hook it up to a new redhat
> installation that thinks file names are best stored as utf8? Most non-ascii
> file names aren't even legal in utf8.

Another thing to consider is that you can encode the same character in
several ways using utf8, so two filenames could have different byte
strings, but evaluate to the same set of unicode characters.

John.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans