SubjectRe: printk and long long
Followup to:  <>
By author: Maciej Zenczykowski <>
In newsgroup:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, vda wrote:
> > The character L specifying that a following e, E, f, g, or G
> > conversion corresponds to a long double argument, or a following
> > d, i, o, u, x, or X conversion corresponds to a long long argument.
> > Note that long long is not specified in ANSI C and therefore
> > not portable to all architectures.
> [ personally I'd say screw the un-portable architectures ;) ]
> Long long is here to stay.

long long is C99, so it's *definitely* here to say. The conversion specifier
is "ll" not "L", however.

> Besides if a linux architecture utilises long long in the kernel and
> doesn't support it in printf via %lld then it's horked.
> printf/libc should be fixed instead.
> Maybe that's the problem - the libc support fragment in the kernel tree is
> not up to date on that architecture - maybe the fixes should applied there
> instead - instead of trying to work around the problem, fix the cause.

Indeed. Feel free to steal the code from klibc :)

PGP public key available - finger
Key fingerprint: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." -- Bahá'u'lláh
Just Say No to Morden * The Shadows were defeated -- Babylon 5 is renewed!!