    SubjectRe: UTF-8 in file systems? xfs/extfs/etc.
    Date
    Nico Schottelius <nico-kernel@schottelius.org> said on Mon, 9 Feb 2004 12:58:52 +0100:

    > --GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7
    >
    > Morning!
    >
    > What Linux supported filesystems support UTF-8 filenames?
    >
    > Looks like at least xfs and reiserfs are not able of handling them,
    > as Apache with UTF-8 as default charset delievers wrong names, when
    > accessing files with German umlauts.

    I submitted a bug to the jfs people, because jfs incorrectly returns
    -EINVAL (this isn't even documented in man pages as a valid return
    from open()) from an open() on a filename with UTF-8 in it.

    See http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=3838&group_id=35
    and http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=229308

    This was triggered just by upgrading the console-utils package in
    debian (the problem existed all along, except that when I first made
    the filesystem a jfs one, I reinstalled from backups, rather than
    reinstalling debian from scratch)

    Just don't create a file called -rf. :-)
    -- Larry Wall in <11393@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>