    SubjectRe: ATARAID userspace configuration tool
    Thomas Horsten wrote:
    > - Is there a "recommended" way to enumerate all block devices (not
    > partitions) from userside? Since this is ATA RAID, I could of course just
    > read the ideX majors from /proc/devices and try all the minors, but I
    > would prefer to get a list of all detected block devices in a portable
    > way.

    sysfs, definitely.

    > - After I have used the DM (and possible MD for some RAID types) to map
    > the ataraid devices, is there a way to remove the partitions from the
    > underlying disks from the kernel? This was my main reason for wanting to
    > do kernel-level autodetection of these arrays, so I could prevent add_disk
    > from being called and analysing the partition table (on these BIOS RAIDs,
    > in striped mode the first disk contains the partition table for the entire
    > array in sector 0, and if the user (or a script) tries to mount the
    > partitions (or even read the extended partition table) it may try to read
    > after the end of the disk and will in any case use wrong sector numbers -
    > leading to possible disk corruption.

    You have control of what happens to the devices. If you don't want them
    probed for partitions, they won't be..

    > On top of this it would be useful to make the underlying devices
    > inaccessible after the mapped device is created (to prevent people from
    > doing things like fdisk /dev/hda, when what they really wanted was
    > something like fdisk /dev/ataraid/disc).

    This would be something to talk with the md maintainer about, I think.
    I'm not sure we want to do this, since the user may have a valid reason
    to access the underlying disk.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:6.448 / U:0.460 seconds]