SubjectRe: 2.6.2-rc2 Interactivity problems with SMP + HT
Date
Catalin BOIE wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Robert M. Hyatt wrote:
>

>>It might be some IDE disk I/O that results from flushing buffers or
>>whatever. I don't see this on my SCSI boxes, but I have seen an IDE
>>box get sluggish at times due to I/O.
>

> It is possible.
> vmstat shows a lot of writes when this happen.
> Seems that even reads hangs.
> I remember tat I was in pine and I tried to save a small file (under 1k)
> and it took 5-7 seconds to do it.
>

>>On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Nick Piggin
>>wrote:

>>>There haven't been many scheduler changes there recently so
>>>maybe its something else.
>>>
>>>But you could try the latest -mm kernels. They have some
>>>Hyperthreading work in them (you need to enable CONFIG_SCHED_SMT).

Another possible improvement might come from the recent ide changes
posted here for evaluation. There was a change to not block all devices
or even all devices on a cable if one device delayed. I believe it was
if a command didn't finish as intended, but I don't have it handy since
I sent it off for testing tomorrow on a system which may have that problem.

There's a good bit of work on hangs happening right now, so you could
wait or dig up the patches and try them. I think they were by Davin
McCall if memory serves.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc