SubjectRe: Problem with ioctl command TCGETS
You wrote:
[read/write vs ioctl]
> > Tell me how? E.g. how would you set/get sound stream parameters if
> > not with ioctl()?
> Have several related files.

Look at your monitor. Technically this is an output device.
But there are little controls, where you can make adjustments.

ioctl is nothing else: A controller for an io-stream.

It also makes quite clear, that we are packetizing read/writes now.
And it cannot be fdopen()ed ;-)

Maybe we COULD split strictly for reads and writes, but
we still need a side channel for that to be opened by
passing a file descriptor.

How else would you control a tty/pty which you got as stdin/stdout?

Maybe one could hack this into xattr-support? ;-)

Ingo Oeser