    SubjectRe: Problem with ioctl command TCGETS
    You wrote:
    [read/write vs ioctl]
    > > Tell me how? E.g. how would you set/get sound stream parameters if
    > > not with ioctl()?
    > Have several related files.

    Look at your monitor. Technically this is an output device.
    But there are little controls, where you can make adjustments.

    ioctl is nothing else: A controller for an io-stream.

    It also makes quite clear, that we are packetizing read/writes now.
    And it cannot be fdopen()ed ;-)

    Maybe we COULD split strictly for reads and writes, but
    we still need a side channel for that to be opened by
    passing a file descriptor.

    How else would you control a tty/pty which you got as stdin/stdout?

    Maybe one could hack this into xattr-support? ;-)

    Ingo Oeser

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.022 / U:0.944 seconds]