Subjectinternal card reader support
Hi,

My notebook (hp nx9105) has an integrated 5in1 card-reader. I would
really like to use this with linux.
Since I do not think it is supported yet, I d like to know if it might
be possible to write a module or so for this.
I am just an average C programmer, but always wanted to dive into kernel
developement. My knowledge on computer architecture is also no more than
basic, so this might be something to really learn a lot...
So I start at zero knowledge now. First of course I need to find out if
what I want to do is possible at all.
This means now to identify the hardware inside and see if I can get
documents for that.

First I just start with:

#lspci
[...]
0000:02:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54 (rev 01)
0000:02:04.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54 (rev 01)
0000:02:04.2 System peripheral: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 8201
(rev 01)
[...]

This is all that I have. Now I am already confused. My box has one
PCMCIA slot. Which is now the PCMCIA and which is the CardReader? What
about the third device? Might this be the integrated infrared controller?

Can you give me any hints/tips where to start best, what to read first?

I know this seems to be very difficult, but I have quite some free time
that I don't want to spend playing bzflag all night long, so I think
this is a great way to learn something.

Thanks for your advice,
Felix

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.428 / U:0.660 seconds]