SubjectRe: [RFC] dynamic syscalls revisited
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Steven Rostedt wrote:
>
>> I added the following to my sys_dsyscall routine. The routine that is
>> the only system call for a user process to access dynamic system calls
>> (at anytime), even if dynamic system calls are loaded.
>>
>> static int is_tainted = 0;
>>
>> if (tainted & TAINT_PROPRIETARY_MODULE) {
>> if (!is_tainted) {
>> printk(KERN_INFO "Sorry, can't use dynamic system calls with proprietary modules\n");
>> is_tainted = 1;
>> }
>> return -EINVAL;
>> }
>>
>> Once a proprietary module is loaded then all dynamic system calls will
>> become useless.
>>
>> This way, only systems that never loaded a proprietary module may be
>> able to use dynamic system calls. This may suck for those that have
>> NVidia cards, but this may be a start to overcome the problem of
>> allowing binary hooks into default kernels. It also is a way to motivate
>> end users to not use proprietary modules.
>
> I didn't know we were on a crusade to end all binary modules at all costs.
> Why not just make _all_ symbols in the kernel EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL then? I
> really believe this is taking things to new levels of silliness, we should
> also possibly consider adding code in glibc to stop proprietary
> libraries/applications from running. What do you think?
>
> Zwane

Let 'em play their games. We all know how to fork a kernel
that works with our requirements. Currently, 'tainted' can
be zeroed-out with the /proc interface. Code like the demo
above puts one person's policy into the kernel. Policy is
not supposed to be inside the kernel.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
Notice : All mail here is now cached for review by John Ashcroft.
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.052 / U:1.776 seconds]