SubjectRe: [RFC] misleading error message
David Ford <david+challenge-response@blue-labs.org> said:

[...]

> I want to be able to request information about a whooplesnoople without
> it triggering a module load request, to determine if it's compiled in
> statically. I want to be able to distinguish static a static
> whooplesnoople from a modularly loaded whooplesnoople.

The running kernel might have been compiled with whooplesnoople support,
but the module isn't there (or is broken); there are modules (think the
infamous binary drivers, but the NTFS and ipw-2x00 drivers are fully open
source examples I use) that can be loaded into "any" running kernel (even
build them after the kernel was built). A part of the module mechanism is
exactly for making that possible, so this is not a _kernel_ property, but a
_setup_ property.

The only reliable way of finding out if support is there is by using it. Or
groping inside /etc/modprobe.conf and /lib/modules &c to find out, if you
are brave. I'm chicken.