    SubjectRe: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe and Intel Pro/1000
    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Bill Davidsen wrote:

    > Terry Hardie wrote:
    > > Well, this has been plauging me for months, and finally figured it out.
    > >
    > > Any 2.6 kernel on my board, would boot, then give errors (paraphrased,
    > > sorry) when I tried to bring up the ethernet:
    > >
    > > NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
    > > IRQ #18: Nobody cared!
    > >
    > > And no ethernet conectivity.
    > >
    > > The Fix: Update bios from asus' website. I guess their ACPI was screwed
    > > up. This is the second time I've had to update this MB to fix
    > > incompatibilities with Linux. So, watch out with Asus boards on Linux.
    > >
    > > BTW - Linux 2.4's driver worked fine with the old bios. Only 2.6 didn't
    > > work.
    >
    > Some additional info, I've been investigating this for a few hours, and
    > it appears that (a) IRQ 18 on my system is shared by ide0 and ide1, and
    > that the IRQ storm seems to start the first time I use ide1 (DVD only).
    >
    > I will be posting a bunch of dmesg results when/if the system reboots,
    > but acpi={off,ht} doesn't help, pollirq doesn't help, and system
    > shutdown leaves the system unbootable without a full (pull the power
    > cord) hardware power cycle.
    >
    > Questions:
    > 1 - do you have trouble rebooting after a failure?

    Since I flashed my bios, no more problems, so I've had no more failures

    > 2 - do you see the IRQ 18 storm start just after the first use of ide1?

    No. I got it when I used the ethernet, which was on IRQ 18. I'm not using
    ide0 and ide1 on my board. I'm using a 3ware SATA RAID controller

    > 3 - and of course if you can get up in console mode, are ide0 and ide1
    > shared?

    I think they are, although I can't be sure since I am not using them -
    They don't show up in my /proc/interrupts.

    ---
    Terry Hardie terry@net.com
    SHOUTip System Architect & Principal Engineer ICQ#: 977679
    net.com, 6900 Paseo Padre Parkway
    Fremont, CA 94555, USA V: +1-510-574-2366

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.027 / U:0.776 seconds]