SubjectRe: Gurus, a silly question for preemptive behavior
jesse wrote:
> --- Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org> wrote:
>

>>jesse wrote:
>>
>>>Paulo:
>>>
>>> I already said in the messsage that my user
>>
>>space
>>
>>>application has a low nice priority, i set it to
>>
>>10.
>>
>>>since my application has low priority compared to
>>>other user space applications, it is supposed to
>>
>>be
>>
>>>interrupted. but it is not.
>>
>>If your task is better priority the scheduler will
>>make it preempt the
>>worse priority task. It sounds to me like you are
>>complaining that the
>>worse priority task is still getting cpu? If so, you
>>misunderstand
>>priority - it orders tasks according to priority
>>giving lower latency
>>and preemptive behaviour to the better task, and
>>gives _more_ cpu but
>>not all the cpu. The cpu must still be shared, but
>>with more cpu
>>distributed to the better priority task. If you want
>>your better
>>priority task to get _all_ the cpu you have to use
>>real time scheduling.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Con
>>

> ok, Con, your explaining makes some sense to me , but
> still not very well.
>
> suppose I have five high process: A1, A2, A3, A4,
> A5 all have nice = 0. and I also have a low priority
> process B with nice = 10.
>
> a) when process B is scheduled to run, it is given
> a short time slot based on its priority, for example 5
> secs. because at that point, A1/2/3/4/5 are not
> started yet. B will get CPU and run at full speed.
> b) at the end of time slot(5 secs), scheduler
> finds higher priority A1/A2/A3/A4/A5 are ready,
> scheduler will interrupt process B and starts to pick
> a process from group A, even though B still needs CPU
> cycle.
> c)unfortunately, process A1/2/3/4/5 are so active,
> thus process B should never get opportunity to run
> again, in consequence, CPU Usage% of Process B should
> be very Low.
>
> However, The above theretic assumption is in
> contrary to what i observed. in my LAB, the low
> priority process B seems to hold the CPU forever and
> Top command always shows Process B with a 90% CPU
> usage.
>
> If _more_ cpu but not _all_ the cpu are given to
> Process A1/2/3/4/5, Process B shouldn't have a 90% CPU
> usage.

This statement is not exactly true. If process B is always ready to run
(CPU bound, not I/O bound) it could easily consume more CPU than all the
other processes combined. It all depends on what A1/2/3/4/5 are doing.
Just because A1 has a higher priority doesn't mean it is ready to run.
If processes A1/2/3/4/5 spend most of their time waiting for I/O or
sleeping (not ready to run) and B does a lot of computation or just busy
spins, B could easily consume more CPU than the others.

> Thus, i can't help asking why low priority process B
> gets most CPU cycle.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> jesse
>

> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.041 / U:0.024 seconds]