    SubjectRe: Oops on 2.6.9-ac16: xfs, dm and md may be involved
    On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 08:52:03PM +0100, Joerg Sommrey wrote:
    > On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 06:26:06PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > > On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 07:57:54PM +0100, Joerg Sommrey wrote:
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > last night my box died with a kernel oops. There was a backup
    > > > running at that time. The setup:
    > > > - 2 SATA disks + 1 SCSI disk
    > > > - SATA partitions build up md-raid-arrays (level 0 and 1)
    > > > - md-raid-devices and SCSI partitions are physical volumes for dm
    > > > - dm logical volumes are used for xfs filesystems
    > > > - backup is done on dm-snapshots of those filesystems
    > >
    > > Given the strange backtrace and this enormous stack of drivers I bet
    > > you're seeing a stack overflow.

    Hmm, I'm not real sure of that Christoph - this was inside a
    kernel thread (xfsbufd) where there is almost nothing on the
    stack at the point we dove into driver land. Looked like a
    genuine bug to me. There were plenty of calls on the trace,
    but I think several of those were badly guessed by the stack
    dump code. And a couple of registers having a memory poison
    pattern looked a bit suspect.

    > Does this mean that this kind of stuff just doesn't work? I was running
    > a 4K-stack kernel with this "stack of drivers" for quiet some time without
    > problems. The problems started around 2.6.9-pre-something. Converting
    > to 8K-stacks didn't help. Is this only xfs related?

    Certainly wasn't XFS using stack in the initial oops, perhaps
    the lower layers, but I'm a bit sceptical. Almost certainly
    this is a device mapper snapshot problem, the DM folks should
    be able to analyse it further.

    cheers.

    --
    Nathan