SubjectRe: 2.6.9 NAT problem
Bodo Eggert wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>>Antonio Pérez wrote:
>

>>>add this:
>>>echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_bic
>>>echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
>>>echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_conf_avoid
>>
>>I've seen this and similar advice for other problems, and have disabled=
>>
>>ecn for several systems with networking ailments myself. Would it be
>>better to have some of these off by default rather than have multiple
>>versions of these problems appear into the future?
>

> Disabeling ecn is a workaround for b0rken firewalls and may result in
> using more bandwidth than nescensary. If disabeling ecn helps, dump the
> firewall and get something that supports basic internet standards (or
> ask the owner to do this).

Like many other parameters, ecn can improve performance but may result
in a non-functional network. Based on that I still think it's better for
the default to be "works" and use of ecn or other tuning parameters such
as reducing timeouts should be "tuning" instead.

Adding a few printk's seems to show that ecn is not so common that it
needs to be on by default. I suspect that the main use of ecn code is in
fighting with those broken routers and firewalls rather than improving
performance.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)