    SubjectRe: 2.6.9 NAT problem
    Bodo Eggert wrote:
    > Bill Davidsen wrote:
    >>Antonio Pérez wrote:
    >>>add this:
    >>>echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_bic
    >>>echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
    >>>echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_conf_avoid
    >>I've seen this and similar advice for other problems, and have disabled=
    >>ecn for several systems with networking ailments myself. Would it be
    >>better to have some of these off by default rather than have multiple
    >>versions of these problems appear into the future?
    > Disabeling ecn is a workaround for b0rken firewalls and may result in
    > using more bandwidth than nescensary. If disabeling ecn helps, dump the
    > firewall and get something that supports basic internet standards (or
    > ask the owner to do this).
    Like many other parameters, ecn can improve performance but may result
    in a non-functional network. Based on that I still think it's better for
    the default to be "works" and use of ecn or other tuning parameters such
    as reducing timeouts should be "tuning" instead.

    Adding a few printk's seems to show that ecn is not so common that it
    needs to be on by default. I suspect that the main use of ecn code is in
    fighting with those broken routers and firewalls rather than improving

    -bill davidsen (

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.020 / U:53.640 seconds]