    SubjectRe: Lockup with 2.6.9-ac15 related to netconsole
    On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 09:48:53PM +0100, Francois Romieu wrote:
    > Mark Broadbent <markb@wetlettuce.com> :
    > [...]
    > > Using the patch supplied I get no hang, just the message 'netconsole
    > > raced' output to the console and the packet capture proceeds as normal.
    > > Thanks
    >
    > The patch is more a bandaid for debugging than a real fix. The netconsole
    > will drop some messages until its locking is fixed

    Unfortunately there's no good way to fix its locking in this
    circumstance (or the harder case of driver-private locks). I think
    I'll just have to come up with some scheme for queueing messages that
    arrive when the queue lock is held.

    > If you can issue one more test, I'd like to know if some messages appear
    > on the VGA console around the time at which tcpdump is started (the test
    > assumes that netconsole is not used/insmoded at all). Please check that
    > the console log_level is set high enough as it will be really disappointing
    > if nothing appears :o)

    I think it's the promiscuous mode message itself that's the problem
    but I've not had time to reproduce it.