SubjectRe: ioctl assignment strategy?
Chris Friesen wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
>
>> Rethink the way you want to control your device. Seriously, a lot of
>> ioctls can be broken down into single device files, single sysfs files,
>> or other such things (a whole new fs as a last resort too.)
>

> Actually, my particular case is likely not a good example. We've got a
> misc char driver giving access to a lot of miscellaneous features we've
> added to the kernel,. We originally (a few years back) used new
> syscalls, but then we started supporting a bunch more arches, and having
> to patch all of them just to add syscall numbers sucked.
>
> Some of it could easily be moved to /proc or /sys, but if you do it that
> way, how do you handle returning unusual error values? Other stuff
> involves multiple stages of registration, then getting handles returned,
> and doing new calls with those handles. I don't see how this would tie
> nicely into the read/write paradigm.

/That/ is exactly what FS API is good for: returning error values is
done via read(/sys/mystuff/errno,&err,4), getting handles is done via
open(/sys/mystuff/mycomp) and doing new calls is just calling FS API
with the *file* handle. Registration, depending on your definition of it
can be viewed as a link(/sys/mystuff/object,/sys/mystuff/subsystem) or
as a write(/sys/mystuff/subsystem/registered,"object"). Take a peek into
Plan9 from Bell Labs for inspiration...

> What's the big problem with ioctls anyways? I mean, in a closed
> environment where I'm writing both the userspace and the kernelspace
> side of things.
>
> Chris
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.063 / U:0.356 seconds]