SubjectRe: [Coverity] Untrusted user data in kernel
linux-os wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> James Morris wrote:
>>> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Patrick McHardy wrote:
>>> That's what I meant, you need the capability to do anything bad :-)
>> Are you saying that processes with capability don't make mistakes?
>> This isn't a bug related to untrusted users doing privileged
>> operations, it's a case of using unchecked user data.
> But isn't there always the possibility of "unchecked user data"?
> I can, as root, do `cp /dev/zero /dev/mem` and have the most
> spectacular crask you've evet seen. I can even make my file-
> systems unrecoverable.

But the difference between you example (cp /dev/zero /dev/mem) and
passing unchecked data to the kernel is... you _can_ check the data and
do something about it if you discover that the data is not valid/within
a range/whatever even if the user has full permissions.
No same person would do a 'cp /dev/zero /dev/mem', but passing bad data
is more likely to happen, badly written userspace configuration tools etc.