    SubjectRe: [Coverity] Untrusted user data in kernel
    linux-os wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    >
    >> James Morris wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Patrick McHardy wrote:
    >>>
    >>> That's what I meant, you need the capability to do anything bad :-)
    >>

    >> Are you saying that processes with capability don't make mistakes?
    >> This isn't a bug related to untrusted users doing privileged
    >> operations, it's a case of using unchecked user data.
    >>

    > But isn't there always the possibility of "unchecked user data"?
    > I can, as root, do `cp /dev/zero /dev/mem` and have the most
    > spectacular crask you've evet seen. I can even make my file-
    > systems unrecoverable.

    But the difference between you example (cp /dev/zero /dev/mem) and
    passing unchecked data to the kernel is... you _can_ check the data and
    do something about it if you discover that the data is not valid/within
    a range/whatever even if the user has full permissions.
    No same person would do a 'cp /dev/zero /dev/mem', but passing bad data
    is more likely to happen, badly written userspace configuration tools etc.

    tom

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.021 / U:60.220 seconds]