SubjectRe: [Coverity] Untrusted user data in kernel
linux-os wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> James Morris wrote:

>>> That's what I meant, you need the capability to do anything bad :-)
>>

>> Are you saying that processes with capability don't make mistakes?
>> This isn't a bug related to untrusted users doing privileged
>> operations, it's a case of using unchecked user data.
>>

> But isn't there always the possibility of "unchecked user data"?
> I can, as root, do `cp /dev/zero /dev/mem` and have the most
> spectacular crask you've evet seen. I can even make my file-
> systems unrecoverable.

But that's not the type of thing you would do by accident. The kernel
can't protect against deliberate abuse by trusted users, nor should it.
But the type of problem caused by an application program bug can, and I
believe should, be caught.

The difference between "oops" and "take that!"

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)