    SubjectRe: bind() udp behavior
    > I am not subscribed to this list so please CC me personally in
    > I am noticing some odd behavior with linux on a redhat 8 box
    >when making udp requests. It seems subsequent udp calls are all
    >allocating the same source ephemeral udp port. I believe the kernel
    >should be randomizing these (or incrementing) these ports for subsequent

    No, you can have a fixed port for any socket. (It's just a question whether
    you actually get the socket, because it might be in use.)

    See , which contains an
    example on how to choose a fixed port.

    > We ran a test C program that just put a gethostbyname_r call
    >in a for loop of 40 calls and all 40 requests used the same UDP source
    >port (32789).

    Looks normal to me. It might select a random port upon "libc invocation" and
    use it for all further requests. This is in fact very valid, because UDP is
    connectionless; packets can go from anywhere to anywhere without any

    > This is causing our firewall to drop some packets since
    >it thinks it already closed that connection due to too many transactions
    >using same udp source/dest port passing thru in too short a time frame.

    Then, the firewall UDP implementation is broken. Note, an UDP connection *can
    not be closed*, because it never was "open". If it's trying to do something
    iptables -p udp -m state --state RELATED
    it is doing it wrong, because that is an impossible situation.

    Jan Engelhardt

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.021 / U:1.200 seconds]