SubjectRe: dynamic-hz
* Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz> [041214 01:38]:
> Hi!

> > > Yes, it was supposed to be simple, so that Andrea understands that
> > > there's nothing inherently broken with single-shot timers.
> >
> > Just a quick comment; The timer does not need to be single-shot
> > all the time, it can be a combination of continuous and variable
> > length timer, and it can change depending on the system load.
> >
> > We recently added VST support for OMAP in linux-omap bk tree, and
> > made some changes to the previous VST implementations that might be
> > of interest:
> > The patch in question is at:
> >
> > http://linux-omap.bkbits.net:8080/main/user=tmlind/patch@1.2016.4.18?nav=!-|index.html|stats|!+|index.html|ChangeSet@-12w|cset@1.2016.4.18
>
> Wow, that's basically 8 lines of code plus driver for new
> hardware... Is it really that simple?

Yeah, the key things are reprogramming the timer in the idle loop
based on next_timer_interrupt(), and calling timer_interrupt from
other interrupts as well :)

Should we try a similar patch for x86/amd64? I'm not sure which timers
to use though? One should be programmable length for the interrupt,
and the other continuous for the timekeeping.

BTW, looks like my upgraded mail server is still a bit messed up, and
my original post did not make it to the list. But most of the message
is quoted above anyways. Here's the link to the patch again as
tinyurl:

http://tinyurl.com/69n4k

Tony

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.079 / U:1.256 seconds]