    SubjectRe: [WISHLIST] IBM HD Shock detection in Linux
    Niel Lambrechts wrote (ao):
    > On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 23:06 +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
    > > >The code apparently can display the horizon, but cannot prevent
    > > >shocks :(
    > >
    > > How can something prevent a shock if it does not know before? What I
    > > mean is that if I smack a harddrive, it can hardly evade it... nor
    > > can it prevent me from smacking it.
    >
    > It can only prevent shocks when it detects tilts... like when the
    > laptop shakes in a moving vehicle for example..

    Of course it can't prevent shocks :-)

    It can try to minimalize the impact of a shock though.

    I am a happy owner of a X40. Just got it, so it still runs XP. The
    software parks the heads of the disk if it detects movement. It is very
    sensitive and quick so I believe it can protect the harddisk if the
    notebook gets dropped during use.

    In a car the software adapts to the usual bumps so the notebook is still
    useful :-)

    The windows software shows a picture of the notebook in 3D which tilts
    if you tilt the actual notebook. Neat :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.024 / U:92.660 seconds]