    SubjectRe: [WISHLIST] IBM HD Shock detection in Linux
    On Mon December 13 2004 2:15 am, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

    > >> How can something prevent a shock if it does not know before? What I
    > >> mean is that if I smack a harddrive, it can hardly evade it... nor can
    > >> it prevent me from smacking it.
    > >
    > >It can only prevent shocks when it detects tilts... like when the laptop
    > >shakes in a moving vehicle for example..
    > Ah that's reasonable, like I'm dropping it (will probably tilt due to
    > physics) and then hit the ground.
    > But what will it do to prevent against the schock, now that it knows it is
    > tilted?
    When a tilt is detected, it would park the heads ? so that it would not
    affected from the larger shock ?

    The platter/head is affected in a case where the arm swings away, even from
    the powerful magnet to crash against the platter. If the arm is locked, such
    that it does not move when a tilt is detected, (The tilt before the shock)
    the arm is parked and locked (more locking than the simple magnet) ?

    > Jan Engelhardt

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.021 / U:12.584 seconds]