    SubjectRe: cifs large write performance improvements to Samba
    The current mainline (very recent 2.6.10-rc Linux tree) should be fine
    from memory leak perspective. No such leaks have been reported AFAIK on
    current cifs code and certainly none that I have detected in heavy
    stress testing.

    I do need to add some additional filesystem tests to the regression test
    mix soon, and I have asked one of the guys here with a ppc64 box to
    run some more bigendian tests on it too. The ltp has filesystems tests
    scatterred in multiple directories which I need to track down and setup
    scripts to automate (e.g. the sendfile tests are not in the same
    directory with other tests in testcases/kernel/fs, nor is the very
    useful "connectathon nfs" posix filesystem test suite)

    The oops (referenced in your post) does need to be fixed of course, but
    since the code that would cause it is disabled (and only is broken to
    certain servers and is noted as broken in the TODO list, implying that
    it should not be turned on in /proc/fs/cifs) - I was considering it
    lower priority than the other issues recently fixed which have been
    consuming my time. Fixing/adding support for extended security is
    getting closer to the top of the priority list now though. If I can at
    least prevent the oops with a small change (even if it does not fully
    fix the spnego code) I will push that changeset in soon. The userspace
    piece should be -- much -- easier to communicate with now that the
    kevents stuff is in. Very high on the list as well is getting NTLMv2
    tested and working as many environments require it. Figuring out the
    mysterious byte range lock failure which sometimes occurs on an unlock
    in locktest 7 (I noticed it starting after the nfs changes for the vfs
    posix locking a few months ago) and I have posted about before (Kernel
    panic - not syncing: Attempting to free lock with active blocklist) is a
    slightly higher priority. Basically I need to figure out what is going
    on with the line in fs/locks.c?

    if (!list_empty <http://lxr.linux.no/ident?v=2.6.8.1;i=list_empty>(&fl->fl_block)
    panic <http://lxr.linux.no/ident?v=2.6.8.1;i=panic>(/"Attempting to free lock with active block list"/);

    Since I am not adding anything to the fl_block list intentionally, I
    need to find out what causes items to be added to the fl_block list (ie
    when the locks_insert_block and locks_delete_block call are made and why
    they sometimes happen differently in lock test 7 then in other byte
    range lock testcases in which unlock obviously works fine).

    On the issue of regressing back to smbfs :) There are a few things
    which can be done that would help.

    1) Need to post an updated version of when to still use smbfs for an
    occassional mount (there are only a couple of cases in which smbfs has
    to be used now but they are important to some users - such as users who
    have to access an occassional old OS/2 or DOS server, or who need
    Kerberos), and I need to add it that chart to the fs/cifs/README and the
    project page etc.
    2) Public view of the status of testing - the raw data needs to be
    posted regularly as kernel updated (and against five or six different
    server types) so users see what is broken in smbfs (and so users can see
    what posix issues are still being worked on cifs and any known
    problems). smbfs fails about half of the filesystem tests that I have
    tried, due to stress issues, or because the tests requires better posix
    compliance or because of various smbfs stability fixes.

    If only someone could roll all of the key fs tests into a set of
    scripts which could generate one regularly updated set of test status
    chart ... one for each of XFS, JFS, ext3, Reiser3, CIFS (against various
    servers, Samba version etc), NFSv2, NFSv3, NFSv4 (against various
    servers), AFS but that would be a lot of work (not to run) but the first
    time writing/setup of the scripts to launch the tests in the right order
    since some failures may be expected (at least for the network
    filesystems) due to hard to implement features (missing fcntls, dnotify,
    get/setlease, differences in byte range lock semantics, lack of flock
    etc.) and also since the most sensible NFS, AFS and CIFS tests would
    involve more than one client (to test caching/oplock/token management
    semantics better) but no such fs tests AFAIK exist for Linux.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.024 / U:58.652 seconds]