    Subjectdummy help on io
    Date
    Greetings;

    I've ordered the device drivers book from O-Reilly but it will be
    a few days getting here.

    I'm trying to mod the GPL'd archive PIO.tar.gz, so it will build a
    driver for a pci card with 3 each 82C55's on it, and I *think* I'd
    have it working with the first of the 3 chips if I could figure
    out what to do about using the call "iopl(3);" on installing
    the driver, and conversely an "iopl(0);" at rmmod time.

    I'm told this is required to gain access perms to addresses above
    0x3FF. The call "ioperm" is used below that I've been told.

    Unforch, an "insmod PIO io=0xf100" (where the card is addressed
    at currently) is spitting out an "unresolved symbol" error for the
    iopl call.

    Being a rank beginner at "pc" hardware, can someone give me a
    checklist of things I've probably left out please?

    Kernel is 2.4.25-adeos. With the module "rtai" inserted when emc
    is running for realtime control purposes.

    The card is pure hardware, no bios, only address decoding that
    can set the base address anyplace in the first 64k of address
    space in a step of 4 sequence from 0xnn00-0xnn0C for the 4
    ports of chip 1, 0xnn10-1C for chip 2, etc, where the nn is the
    dipswitch setting.

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.021 / U:0.128 seconds]