    SubjectRe: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
    > > Then your definition of a "contract" is flawed or your world-view has
    > > nothing to do with reality.
    > It's not my definition, it's a definition used in software
    > engineering.

    Not that I've seen. Maybe your school. Google also doesn't seem to agree
    with you. In other words, it seems to be in pretty limited use.

    > An ABI is a definition of an interface, including operations with pre-
    > and post-conditions, data structures with their invariants, constants,
    > file formats, etc.

    Oh, I know what an ABI is. I just don't think your "contract" part has
    anything to do with it.

    > Most of that is covered by the software engineering term `contract'.

    I think you're making that up. Maybe there's some sw cult that swears by
    "contract programming", the same way there are the "extreme programming"
    cults etc. For example, I find this "Design by Contract" cult for object-
    oriented programming, but it has _zero_ to do with external API's, and is
    all about the interfaces for object-oriented components.

    IOW, I don't find your arguments or your language usage in the least
    convincing. But hey, I did all my CS stuff outside of the US, whatever.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.801 / U:48.812 seconds]