SubjectRe: cd burning, capabilities and available modes
J.A. Magallon wrote:
> Hi...
>
> Following my little oddisey to let cd-burning easy for my users,
> I think I have found another problem.
>
> It looks like the formats available to cdrecord depend on being root
> (cdrecord is not suid, if it is it complains it cant reserve some
> buffers).
>
> As root:
>
> werewolf:/store/tmp# cdrecord -dummy dev=ATAPI:1,0,0 *.iso
> Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
> Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
> Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
>
> As user:
> werewolf:/store/tmp> cdrecord -dummy dev=ATAPI:1,0,0 *.iso
> cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
> cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
> cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
> cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
> cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
> scsidev: 'ATAPI:1,0,0'
> devname: 'ATAPI'
> scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
> Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
> Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
> Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
> WARNING ! Cannot gain SYS_RAWIO capability !
> : Operation not permitted
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
> Device type : Removable CD-ROM
> Version : 0
> Response Format: 2
> Capabilities :
> Vendor_info : 'HL-DT-ST'
> Identifikation : 'DVDRAM GSA-4120B'
> Revision : 'A102'
> Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
> Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
> Supported modes:
> cdrecord: Drive does not support TAO recording.
> cdrecord: Illegal write mode for this drive.
>
> Uh ?
>
> Some suggestions ?

I get that all the time, because one of my drives doesn't support TAO
burning. I suspect your firmware sucks, and you will have to use session
at a time rather than track at a time, option "-sao" works for me. Are
you running standard cdrecord or one of the hacks?

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)