    SubjectRe: Ideas for a new io scheduler for desktop
    On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 08:50:19PM -0500, Robert Love wrote:
    > On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 02:32 +0100, Pedro Larroy wrote:
    > > I think that a new io-scheduler that gave priority to bursty access to
    > > block devices would be interesting for desktop and workstation use, and
    > > even for some servers.
    > >
    > > I'm often waiting for graphical aplications, vim, mutt, and almost every
    > > program to which I have to interact with because they are blocked
    > > waiting for just a few blocks of IO that won't get served fast just
    > > because there's a single process hog that's provoking that high latency.
    > >
    > > In network terminology the disk just feel like a network interface without QoS,
    > > service time just goes up insanely with just one client in the queue.
    > >
    > > Although much care should be taken in designing this algorithm to
    > > prevent unfairness, I believe there's room for improvement in this area.
    > >
    > > I'd like to read about your opinions.
    > What you are seeing is the affect of read requests being synchronous,
    > and thus the pain of read latency, and write requests to one part of the
    > disk starving other requests.
    > Have you tried the new 2.6 I/O schedulers? They should prevent this
    > problem.
    > If you are using 2.6, then your problem might not lie with the I/O
    > scheduler. Read request deadlines are very low in both the deadline and
    > anticipatory I/O scheduler.
    > Robert Love

    Yes, I use them in all of my boxes.

    Pedro Larroy Tovar | Linux & Network consultant |
    Make debian mirrors with debian-multimirror:
    * Las patentes de programación son nocivas para la innovación *

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.021 / U:3.952 seconds]