    SubjectRe: isa memory address
    On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 17:46, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
    > Antonino Sergi wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm working with an old data acquisition system that uses an 8-bit card
    > > in an ISA slot (address 0xd0000), by a simple driver I ported from
    > > kernel 1.1.x to 2.2.24.
    > >
    > > It works fine, but I'd like to have features by newer kernels (2.4 or
    > > even 2.6), like new filesystems support.
    > >
    > > On kernels >=2.4.0 check_region returns -EBUSY for that address,
    > > but it is not actually used; I tried to understand if something has been
    > > changed/removed, because of obsolescence of devices, in IO management,
    > > but I couldn't.
    > >
    > > Does anybody have any explanation/suggestion?
    >
    > Please post contents of /proc/iomem .
    > I'm guessing that it will show something like:
    > 000e0000-000effff : Extension ROM
    I can't. Now it is installed redhat 6.2 (2.2.14) (I gave up about this
    issue some moths ago) and I think I won't ever succeed in satisfying rpm
    dep to install a compiled 2.6.x. I'll try to compile it from scratch
    ASAP
    > (but for address 000d0000).
    > So then the question becomes how to assign/allocate it for your
    > driver.
    >
    > You might have to dummy up a call to release_resource() first,
    > then use request_resource() to acquire it.
    > Or just use the addresses anyway.... even though check_region() says
    > -EBUSY.
    I'll try, but the question is why this would be needed?

    Thank you

    > > PS:As I'm not subscribed, please CC me your answers.

    Antonino Sergi <Antonino.Sergi@Roma1.INFN.it>

    Radiodating Laboratory
    Physics Department
    University of Rome "La Sapienza"
    P.le Aldo Moro 2
    00185 Rome Italy
    Tel +390649914206
    Fax +390649914208

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.022 / U:0.644 seconds]