    SubjectRE: GPL Violation of 'sveasoft' with GPL Linux Kernel/Busybox + code
    Date

    > if that's the case, isn't it necessary to distribute the proprietary
    > parts separately (or vice-versa)? else those proprietary parts would
    > also be under the GPL.

    It depends what you mean by speparately. RedHat ships CDs that contain both
    GPL'd and non-GPL'd packages. They're even tweaked to work together. It
    comes down to whether the the thing they're shipping is a single work or a
    collection of works, and to what extent you can draw the line between them.
    I don't know enough about sveasoft's packaging to say.

    However, one thing is clear. If they actually modify source files that
    started out as GPL'd works, and then ship the executables, they are
    definitely shipping a single work that is a derivative of the GPL'd work.

    DS

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.024 / U:1.236 seconds]