    SubjectRe: 2.6.10-rc1-mm3: ACPI problem due to un-exported hotplug_path
    On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 12:32:56PM -0800, Ashok Raj wrote:

    > > fact that

    > > 2.6.10-rc1-mm3; fi
    > >
    > > I've found it. This wants to introduce a new direct /sbin/hotplug
    > > call,
    > > with "add" and "remove" events, without sysfs support.
    > >
    > > It should use class support or kobject_hotplug() instead. Nobody
    > > should
    > > fake hotplug events anymore, cause every other notification transport
    > > will not get called (currently uevent over netlink).
    > >

    > we were discussing this exact thing recently.. we maybe able to clean this up.. here is why
    > we are doing this manual thingy...
    >
    > When we support physical component hotplug, we want to create the sysfs entries, but that doesnt
    > mean the component (i.e CPU or memory) is hotplugged. The reason is for node level hotplug
    > there are sequencing requirements, memory needs to be brought up first before cpu, and also
    > the error handling/policy requirments which we want the user space to handle it and not from
    > kernel side.
    >

    > the sequence is when physical arrival of cpu is seen, we will just create a sysfs entry
    > which will also send an add event (which really is just cpu arrival, and sysfs created).
    >
    > In our model the event is just consumed by the script cpu.agent, which would in turn decide and
    > bring the cpu up by
    >
    > #echo 1> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu#/online
    >
    > what apps really would care about is the ONLINE (which doesnt exist) event itself, and the
    > OFFLINE. The ADD/REMOVE only indicate sysfs entries appear and disappear.
    >
    > I dont know if adding ONLINE/OFFLINE is the right thing, or use the CHANGE notification
    > to inform.

    That's fine. But call kobject_hotplug() if you want to do that. Don't
    rewrite your own function, or you will loose out on a lot of the hotplug
    functionality (sequence numbers, kevent notifications, etc.)

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.025 / U:32.788 seconds]