    SubjectRe: Kernel 2.6.9: i810 video
    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Dave Airlie wrote:

    > > By the way, the X server runs. There is no problem with that.
    > >
    > > If I start it (say, with ICE as a window manager starting up an xterm)
    > > *immediately after boot* I get a clean, black screen. It should be dark
    > > green. I get the frame for the xterm. No xterm. I can right click to get
    > > the menu to display on the screen but it gets locked there. I can right
    > > click again to get a working menu and choose to logout.
    > >
    > > If I do something befor starting it, the screen is filled with junk.
    > > Something is writing to the video ram. If I close it and restar it,
    > > different junk.
    > >
    > > It seems that the initialization of the i810 is leaving its video ram
    > > free to be grabbed and used.
    >
    > Can you throw your .config this way as well, I've just built 2.6.9
    > with i810 drm and no i810 framebuffer (CONFIG_DRM_I810 and
    > !CONFIG_FB_I810) and played tuxracer just fine for a few minutes under
    > a gnome session on a Fedora core 1 box with a prerelease of Xorg
    > 6.8... (my i810 test machine doesn't get taken out all that often...)
    >
    > I did just modprobe the i810 framebuffer module I also built and try
    > to start X and X wouldn't start with a unable to bind system texture
    > memory,.... so trying building a kernel without i810 framebuffer
    > switched on a see what happens..

    I had compiled a kernel without frame buffer (no frame buffer support at
    all). Starting X gave the same screen (if I start X after doing something,
    it come up with junk on it - if I start X immediately after booting, it
    comes up black (should be dark green) and is unusable).

    Let me try the simplest kernel configuration I can.

    Regards from:

    John McGowan | jmcgowan@inch.com [Internet Channel]