SubjectRe: Linux-2.6.9 won't allow a write to a NTFS file-system.
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, linux-os wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> > linux-os wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello anybody maintaining NTFS,
> > >
> > > I can't write to a NTFS file-system.
> > >
> > > /proc/mounts shows it's mounted RW:
> > > /dev/sdd1 /mnt ntfs
> > > rw,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1
> > > 0 0
> > >
> > > .config shows RW support.
> > >
> > > CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
> > > # CONFIG_NTFS_DEBUG is not set
> > > CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y
> > >
> > > Errno is 1 (Operation not permitted), even though root.
> >
> > What are trying to write? AFAIK, the (new) NTFS module only
> > allows one kind of writing: overwriting an existing file, as
> > long as its size doesn't change.
>
> Huh? Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about
> the NTFS that Windows/NT and later versions puts on its
> file-systems. I use an USB external disk with my M$ Laptop
> and I have always been able to transfer data to/from
> my machines using that drive. Now I can't. The drive it
> writable under M$, but I can't even delete anything
> (no permission for root) under Linux.

You must have had it formatted as VFAT in the past. There is now way you
were writing to an NTFS drive from Linux (unless you were using Captive
NTFS or one of the commercially available drivers).

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/