    SubjectRe: support of older compilers

    On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Adam Heath wrote:

    > > First off, for some people that is literally where _most_ of the CPU
    > > cycles go.
    >
    > So find a fast machine. As I have already said, you don't need to compile a
    > kernel for a slow machine/arch *on* a slow machine/arch.

    I _have_ a fast machine. Others don't. And quite frankly, even I tend to
    prioritize things like "nice and quiet" over absolute speed.

    > I don't doubt these are issues. That's not what I am discussing.

    Sure it is. You're complaining that developers use old versions of gcc.
    They do so for a reason. Old versions of gcc are sometimes better. They
    are better in many ways.

    Your "use new versions of gcc even if it is slower" argument doesn't make
    any _sense_. If the new versions aren't any better, why would you want to
    use them?

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.021 / U:0.916 seconds]