SubjectRe: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, David Woodhouse wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 16:57 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > This isn't even a "fix". It's a cleanup. It goes under the same rules
> > a spelling fix does.
>
> So you don't see a long-term technical benefit in cleaning up the
> API/ABI we export to userspace so that userspace stops depending on
> stuff which just isn't supposed to be there?

I see _benefits_, but exactly because they aren't immediate, I think we
should be careful.

Also, exactly because moving things around is a total _nightmare_ from a
diff and source maintenance perspective, we should be _extra_ careful.
It's almost impossible to see something that changed when that something
is _also_ being moved around. You don't see it in the diff, and you don't
see it in any of the tools - a small semantic change that would have been
absolutely OBVIOUS if it was in a regular diff gets totally drowned out by
the "move" diff.

Put another way: when people do things like re-indenting a driver (which
has _exactly_ the same issues: cleanup for the future, but totally
destroys all chance of seeing what the changes actually were), I want the
patch that does the re-indentation to be totally independent of the actual
changes.

Ie we do one patch that _only_ does the whitespace changes, and try to
make sure that it doesn't break anything even by mistake. People even
compile the thing and verify that it is 100% the same thing as an object
file. Then that gets applied. Only _after_ that should you make changes.

Do we follow this religiously? For small things, clearly no. We sometimes
mix whitespace and real changes. But we sure as hell shouldn't. At least
not for anything bigger.

The EXACT same thing is true of any header file movement. DO NOT CHANGE
SEMANTICS WHEN YOU MOVE STUFF!

It's not just my personal hangup. It's a damn good idea.

I will hereby just ignore this thread. Please remove me from the Cc, I've
wasted way too much time on this total idiocy already. I've made my
opinions extremely clear, and quite frankly, I don't want to hear anything
on this any more for at least a week. It's just not worth it.

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.796 / U:0.020 seconds]