SubjectRe: GPL violation by iRiver
>>>>> "Alan" == Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

Alan> On Maw, 2004-11-30 at 20:20, Marcus Metzler wrote:
>> Has anybody else tried to contact them? If you are interested,
>> there

Alan> No but I've received various bits of their publicity and
Alan> other stuff which clearly states they are Linux
Alan> based. They've certainly not tried to hide the fact so that
Alan> is promising.

I hope so. I was just a little surprised when their reply was so
clearly no, without even reacting to my questions about the GPL.
Maybe the support people have no idea, but who else should I contact.

Alan> In fact its archived at:

Alan> http://www.iriver.com/html/company/press/copr_pr_view.asp?searchField=&searchString=&page=1&idx=51&tmpSearchField=all&tmpSearchString=

I know and it never looked like they tried to hide the fact they were
using linux. But I have bought other hardware that uses linux based
firmware and they always mentioned it in there manuals even if they
neglected to offer the sources at first.
There is no mention about the GPL or Linux on their copyrights pages
or anywhere else in the manual. You can find it online on their website:
http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/pmp100.aspx

Marcus

| Dr. Marcus O.C. Metzler | |
| mocm@metzlerbros.de | http://www.metzlerbros.de/ |
|>>> Quis custodiet ipsos custodies <<<|