    SubjectRe: Misleading error message
    >I compiled built-in support for iptables in my new 2.6.9 kernel, but when my
    >legacy firewall does a "modprobe ip_tables" , I get the startling message:
    >"FATAL: module ip_tables not found" .

    Linux Developers,

    what would you think of say, a line added to modules' code that identifies
    compiled-in components?
    modprobe could then be adjusted to
    1. try loading something.ko
    2. looking for a component "something" within the compiled-in stuff

    I'd imagine a module's init could look like:

    int __init init_module(void) {
    register_static_module("ip_tables");
    }

    Or using some linker magic to generate a table/array full with strings to
    indicate their presence. (I though of kstrtab, which is, to my knowledge, also
    composed of multiple single symbols into one.)

    Awaiting list feedback.

    >A message like "Module ip_tables not needed; support already built in the
    >kernel" would be much more helpfull, as I see it.

    modprobe should just return 0 as is with the case for already-loaded modules.

    Jan Engelhardt
    --
    ENOSPC