    SubjectRe: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, David Woodhouse wrote:

    > > Same thing here. The __KERNEL__ approach says "whatever you want, boss".
    > > It doesn't get in the way. Maybe it doesn't actively _help_ you either,
    > > but you never have to fight any structure it imposes on you.
    >
    > Having to think before adding something that's user visible is a
    > _benefit_ not a disadvantage.

    I've said this at least three times: if you can point to a _specific_
    thing you want to move, go wild. I think the big waste in this discussion
    has been that there have _not_ been specific suggestions, just total
    sound-bites like "wouldn't it be great to move things to 'include/kapi'".

    If you have a specific thing in mind, say instead something like

    "Wouldn't it be great if we moved all the tty layer IOCTL numbers
    into 'tty-ioctl-nr.h', and made the old header file just include
    that header file, so that new libc users can get them from just
    that header? And btw, here's the patch."

    then I might listen. Notice how the only really constructive thing to come
    out of this flame-fest has been a patch by Al that looked perfectly
    reasonable, but that got totally drowned out by the arguing?

    Note that even _if_ you have a specific thing in mind, I want to see that
    somebody would say "yes, we'd use that organization". I would not be
    surprised at all if glibc people said that they can't really use any
    re-organization anyway, since they need to support old kernel setups too.

    See? Changes that aren't specific enough, or don't actually help things is
    what I'm against.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.020 / U:120.184 seconds]