    SubjectRe: nfs stale filehandle issues with 2.6.10-rc1 in-kernel server
    Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

    >> That's entirely expected. NFS has always been forced to use a polling
    >> model for attribute cache consistency. "man 5 nfs" and read all about
    >> the "actimeo" mount options that control this behaviour.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Trond
    >>

    > Trond,
    >
    > Thanks for the update. I noticed from another post on this thread
    > that the problems with
    > /etc/exports are being addressed. This was the other problem I was
    > seeing but it appears
    > to be getting fixed.
    >
    > Jeff

    Trond,

    While you are running down this problem, I've located another odd
    behavior you
    may (or may not) chose to address. In my dsfs file system, I use sector
    runs (large ones)
    that can sometimes return odd sizes during running down a file for
    reading.

    i.e. I can return 4096,4096,4096,512,1024,4096,4096 block sizes on size
    returns
    from vfs_read() for 512 or 4096 block requests when the file is read
    sequentially.
    Under NTFS and other OS architectures, unless the final read attempt
    returns 0 size
    denoting end of file, this seems to be allowed. I noticed that all of
    the linux code with
    the exception of NFS also handles this situation quite nicely. NFS does
    not. I have
    noted that if NFS receives a read size smaller than the requested block,
    it always assumes
    end of file and terminates the next read. I hace modified dsfs to
    always return
    block sizes in a uniform manner so NFS will work properly, even though
    the rest
    of the Linux apps work just fine without assuming the end of file has
    been reached.

    I personally think this is a broken behavior, but perhaps it's in line
    with some NFS
    spec somewhere. I have coded around it, but thout I would mention it to
    you.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.024 / U:58.928 seconds]