SubjectRe: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?
Date
On Wednesday 03 November 2004 14:26, DervishD wrote:
> Hi Gene :)
>
> * Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> dixit:
>> > Then the children are reparented to 'init' and 'init' gets
>> > rid of them. That's the way UNIX behaves.
>>
>> Unforch, I've *never* had it work that way. Any dead process I've
>> ever had while running linux has only been disposable by a reboot.
>
> Well, you know, shit happens... Anyway, could you define 'dead'?
>Because if you're talking about zombies whose parent dies, they're
>killable easily: just wait until init reaps them (usually in less
>than 5 minutes since they dead). If you are talking about zombies
> who has their parent alive, then it's a bug in the application, not
> the kernel. In fact I wouldn't like if the kernel reaps my children
> before I do, just in case I want to do something.
>
> If you're talking about unkillable processes (those stuck in
>disk-sleep state), you're right: only rebooting can kill them
>(although sometimes they go out of D state and die normally). Bad
>luck for you if any dead process you've ever had while running linux
>has been of this kind :(
>
> Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

That seems to be the only kind of dead processes I get, and thats not
too often. Booted to 2.6.10-rc1-bk11 now, its all working just fine
except for on messydos patch that finally must have made it into the
tree.

As it appears I do not have a prayer of convincing folks otherwise
about this issue, I suggest we let this thread die a well deserved
death till it bites me or someone else again. I'll summerize that
os9/nitros9 handles this situation effortlessly and flawlessly, and I
expected a 150x more sophisticated os to do likewise. My mistake.
OTOH, its one hell of a versatile os IMNSHO. I'm not going away just
because it bites me occasionally.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.807 / U:0.044 seconds]