SubjectRe: Suspend 2 merge: 49/51: Checksumming
Hi.

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 10:30, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Monday 29 November 2004 07:24 pm, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > Hi.

> > > A while back I suggested checking the last mount time of the mounted
> > > local filesystems as a quick and dirty sanity check between loading the
> > > image and unfreezing all the processes. (Since a read-only mount
> > > shouldn't touch this, triggering swsusp resume from userspace after
> > > prodding various hardware shouldn't cause a major problem either...)
> > > Does that sound like a good idea?
> >
> > If I recall correctly, someone replied that even a read only mount under
> > one filesystem (XFS? Not sure), would replay the journal, so it wasn't a
> > goer.
>
> You could always special case the broken one until they fix it... :)

Mmm. I wonder how much code that would require us to add. I do like the
idea of not interacting where the answer is obvious :>. I still think,
however, that interacting when the answer isn't obvious is the right
thing to do. Take for example the case where we find an image, but the
device numbers look like they belong to 2.4 and we're a 2.6 kernel. We
can't read the header (we can't be sure that this is the cause). The
user - or their cat - might have selected the wrong boot image
unintentionally. Why shouldn't we give them the opportunity to reboot
and get the right one?

> > > Haven't had time to look into it myself, though. (Just recently got time
> > > enough to bang on busybox again. Somewhere around 2.6.7, software
> > > suspend stopped working for me and I haven't even had a chance to track
> > > _that_ down yet. Hopefully fixed in 2.6.9 or 2.6.10, I haven't played
> > > with it recently...)
> >
> > If you mean suspend2, I might be able to help if given more info.
>
> Nah, the one that's built in. I'll try it again when I upgrade to 2.6.10 in a
> few days.

Okay.

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham
Pastoral Worker

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ
died for the ungodly. -- Romans 5:6

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.158 / U:0.200 seconds]