    SubjectRe: no entropy and no output at /dev/random (quick question)
    Jan Engelhardt wrote:
    >>I have a server that runs kernel 2.6.9, some web and monitoring
    >>services, it's connected to two different networks with two different
    >>network cards, and somehow a php developer discovered that /dev/random
    >>wasn't giving any entropy to him (O_O) so i checked it out...
    >>[...]
    >>As you may see my only sources of entropy where the timer, eth0, eth1
    >>and the DAC960.
    >

    > I doubt that timer and eth* are a non-predictable source. As such, they should
    > not contribute to the entropy. Better is the keyboard and/or mouse. SSH traffic
    > is network traffic, and if you send it to a network card, you can expect an
    > interrupt at <time>... prdictable.
    >

    > Jan Engelhardt
    Hmm you got it wrong, I'm saying that my only "interrupt generating
    hardware" was NOT contributing to the entropy. I mean, the timer (OF
    COURSE NOT) and the NICs (same) but why don't the DAC960???

    --

    Javier Villavicencio
    Administrador/Consultor